The Suck Less JOB SEARCH BLOG
Get one of these and your job search will close 60% faster. Hey, where did you get that statistic, Adam? We have been tracking tens of thousands of job seekers since we launched in 2004. Job Seekers that have this are remarkably more effective. As my G'ma used to say, "Give a listen".
My strategy was to spend 5-8 hours a day on job boards. Then, reach out to my network to see if they knew of anything. Finally, get as many headhunters to "work" for me as possible. I didn't really think this out but, that was indeed my strategy. All three components had one thing in common, FAILURE!
Getting ready for 2019, a job seeker’s checklist:
1) Target 10 influencers (VC’s, PE’s, Big Consulting, Big Business Law Firms, Big Accounting Firms, Business Brokers). They are the new headhunters.
2) Get an accountability partner (not a friend or family member) to keep you honest in your search and make sure you aren’t spinning on bad strategy.
3) Build a Validated candidate operating system. It can’t be more than 5 pieces and needs to be Validated.
4) Limit yourself to 5 hours per week on job boards and resume tweaks. That should free up plenty of time to execute a proper job search strategy and push you to do more than stare at a screen.
5) Find those connectors buried in your network. Use InMails to ask your professional contacts who they know that you need to meet.
6) Understand that most companies don’t hire January 2nd, there is a slow ramp up as companies sort their budgets, strategy, and staffing matrices. Use the next couple weeks to build a list of 50 target companies. A target company is a company that has a pain you can solve right now.
7) Finally, focus your brand messaging on first quarter wins.
What I have given you here is the beginning of an actual job search strategy. You need one to be successful in your search. Give it a shot and let me know how it works.
You don't really want a job offer right now. You want something else. The cool part is that you get to access this now. Let me take you into my job search and show how my accountability partner stripped me down to the naked desire in my search. It changed everything.
When I tell people that I don't do magic, I mean it. YOU are the most important ingredient in your search, not me. You just lack the strategy, formula, and testing to conduct a successful search. Of course, this is not your domain. Paul understood this and here is his story.
Update 11/24: Todd S. secured two additional offers and an equity play for a consulting CEO side hustle!
A little after T Day Tease...I am going to tell you the tale of the Two Todd's.
Todd F: A VP of Sales in Healthcare. "The Grower"
1) Had to get Todd to buy-in on the fact that a growth-oriented sales leader in healthcare was not a brand, too basic. 2) Todd's ability to claw back key accounts became one of the driving forces in his brand when we looked at what he had done over his career. 3) We built a four-piece operating system that looked different. It begged questions and unveiled a certain kind of target customer (company/employer). 4) We identified 14 C-Suite folks he needed to develop relationships with, 38 target companies, and 9 Influencers. 5) A big offline strategy to get in front of these people (most were local) was launched. 6) Todd added six new C-Suite decision maker connections and three influencers. 7) I Showed him how to ID pain (he was great at this in his career but not great at doing it for his search). 8) He gave VALUE AND VALUE AND VALUE to two decision makers that he warmed up...until they couldn't take it anymore. 9) Bingo...2 robust offers within 18 days (that is crazy fast and not typical).
Todd S: A COO across many industries. "The Fixer"
Todd S. was admittedly a "hard-ass." I tried to fire him. He fought me for a week. Then, he unclenched, and we went to work. 1) We built an Operating System that unveiled only 46 possible targets, that's it! 2) We targeted the 32 PE firms that invested in these 46 targets. 3) We did extensive research and created a deep dive on an industry and the impact for companies in an industrial niche with revenues between $100-500MM. 4) We played six conversations with PE's against each other. 5) We created heat out of thin air, timing (focused on a calendar-related capture point), and hustle. 6) We leveraged the 1-Day play with three target companies (the door was opened by the PE's). 7) Todd generated one excellent offer within 26 days for a COO role and total comp package of 600k ++. 8) The update I got on Tuesday from him was that another offer came in (he's sticking with the original).
One thing in common...DOA Job Search Strategy. How did these tremendous talented Todd's convert this month? Let me tell you a story about two Todd's (to be continued)...
The resume webinars have expired.
I am just a guy standing in front of a job seeker asking them to let me help them get hired.