The Suck Less JOB SEARCH BLOG
My strategy was to spend 5-8 hours a day on job boards. Then, reach out to my network to see if they knew of anything. Finally, get as many headhunters to "work" for me as possible. I didn't really think this out but, that was indeed my strategy. All three components had one thing in common, FAILURE!
Getting ready for 2019, a job seeker’s checklist:
1) Target 10 influencers (VC’s, PE’s, Big Consulting, Big Business Law Firms, Big Accounting Firms, Business Brokers). They are the new headhunters.
2) Get an accountability partner (not a friend or family member) to keep you honest in your search and make sure you aren’t spinning on bad strategy.
3) Build a Validated candidate operating system. It can’t be more than 5 pieces and needs to be Validated.
4) Limit yourself to 5 hours per week on job boards and resume tweaks. That should free up plenty of time to execute a proper job search strategy and push you to do more than stare at a screen.
5) Find those connectors buried in your network. Use InMails to ask your professional contacts who they know that you need to meet.
6) Understand that most companies don’t hire January 2nd, there is a slow ramp up as companies sort their budgets, strategy, and staffing matrices. Use the next couple weeks to build a list of 50 target companies. A target company is a company that has a pain you can solve right now.
7) Finally, focus your brand messaging on first quarter wins.
What I have given you here is the beginning of an actual job search strategy. You need one to be successful in your search. Give it a shot and let me know how it works.
You don't really want a job offer right now. You want something else. The cool part is that you get to access this now. Let me take you into my job search and show how my accountability partner stripped me down to the naked desire in my search. It changed everything.
I am just a guy standing in front of a job seeker asking them to let me help them get hired.